Monday, June 11, 2007

The cat in the house…

These are the kids playing some version of Simon says where if you mess up you have to pay a penalty. This girl was embarrassed because she had to squak like a chicken!

So, when I was first moved to this house, one of the education team members warned me that I would be very bored here. He even went so far as to say that he had spent one weekend in Somoto and that it made him cry from boredom because he was all alone in the house all the time.

Thankfully, I can say that I haven’t been pushed to tears from loneliness. In fact, in the week and a half since I have been in the house, it has been anything but empty. I think that I only spent one night out of the whole time alone! There are visitors every day passing through this region from various groups with the organization and they often stay with me at the house. Since I have been here there have already been 21 guests! Somoto is apparently the rocking place to be!

So, now onto the cat in the title of this post. On Saturday morning I woke up to find that my malaria pill from Friday night had made feel very sick in every kind of very yuckie way! I don’t want to go into details, but why is it that we can’t create a medication whose side effects aren’t nearly as bad as what we are taking the medication for? I mean is it too much to ask that a pill that is supposed to keep you well doesn't make you sick?

I didn’t get much sleep either so at 5 when I woke up I took a shower and then went back to bed. At 7 I was startled awake by a sound from the roof and I when I gazed drowsily up there was a cat climbing on the top of my walls inside of the house (the roof is not connected directly to the ceiling so open air gets in and apparently now cats). The cat literally scared me so much that I was shaking. I had to get out of bed because I started to imagine that other things were going to get in the house!

Although I had plenty of visitors this weekend (8!) it was pretty peaceful for the most part. I did some work, walked around town with one of the women from the center, saw the church (finally) and sat in the gardens in the middle of town.

I plan to definitely make it to Managua this weekend so that I can visit my mom’s cousin’s grandson (if that makes any sense). I also have to say that I am contemplating doing a canopy tour! If I don’t chicken out that is! Here's hoping that I regain the good sense that I normally have about such things and decide to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground. Well friends, its raining in Somoto now, so I face another muddy walk through town, and I should get started.

1 comment:

Chandle said...

It sounds like you're settling in well. A few nights ago I heard something outside, and I was certain it was someone trying to kill me. I understand being scared. You should definitely go on the Canopy tour, they are great. Great post by the way. I miss you.